scenes from the kitchen Pt 2

April 13, 2011 |  Category:   photography remembering the biz

• vv April 13, 2011 at 11:31 am

i love love love seeing the process of creating things – especially when it involves baked goods. every step of the way looks so delicious & handled with much care.

thanks so much for sharing your (& mark’s) slice of life!

• unha April 13, 2011 at 11:52 am

rather grueling day here. this post made me happy.

• sarah April 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Jenna, I am really enjoying these posts. The pictures are lovely (of course) and you can really sense the love that Mark has for what he does. It’s great to see the passion behind your business!

• Renita April 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm

It’s amazing to see how Mark hammers product out, made me think of the responsibility of it on ‘good days and bad days’ … I love the black and white photo

• Maya April 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Jenna, you and mark are such an inspiration to young families. Honestly, your struggles and triumphs are all so real and you share it with such integrity. I am full of respect for you both. You inspire me to just keep doing my best, and then at the end of the day i know i’ve given it my all. Kudos to you guys !

• mrs. B April 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I went to visit a college friend at her work at a television station in Chicago a few years ago. I couldn’t believe her office, her staff or the power she had. I told her she had a “real adult job” while I play with 7 year olds at school.

• Annie April 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm

ahhhh… restaurant life… like Mark, I also look fondly at that time. The energy, the heat, the ties that you create with people.
    It was a total different world.
    One that I miss.
    As always your writing and life inspires me to no end.
    I might be tempted to write my own kitchen stories… they are endless…

• Michelle | GOLD-hearted Girl April 13, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Again, really great. This is what makes your business unique – you give a peek into the daily ins and outs…it makes me want to buy your goodies more!

• Jenna April 13, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Thanks guys, and thanks maya and annie for such a nice comment!

• rebekka April 13, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Words can’t express how much I love these shots. I used to be a pastry chef, and I’ve never missed it more than I do RIGHT NOW looking at these. They really capture the spirit of what it’s like to be in a pastry kitchen…wow. Beautiful.

• Caddy April 14, 2011 at 1:45 am

I use to think about being a baker when I was a kid and I love that story about a chef’s basketball league. 😀

• Cynthia April 14, 2011 at 8:32 am

Thanks for sharing the other side of your business…it’s not all lovely packaged goods, but there is a tall elf in the kitchen baking away. I really appreciate the precision of all those little cookies lining the trays. Your photography is amazing and really captures the space well…the tools (like that tool cabinet in the kitchen) hanging from the racks, the measuring cups all lined up, and the intensity Mark has for making the best product possible. Wishing you both every success. Thanks for sharing your lives with us readers.

• Karen April 15, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Beautiful shots, but my lord! Get that man a taller table!!! Yipes…that picture of him bent over the table made me cringe. I am a bit height challenged, and have two step stools in my kitchen for me & my crew of short girls. Anytime anyone tall walks into my bakery I grab them and make them pull the random stuff from the tallest shelves that I can only reach if I climb the metro shelving like a monkey. I have to say too these pictures made me miss the feel of wood work tables. There’s nothing better than running a bench knife over a wood table to clear a path through the flour…