stormy beach

July 30, 2012 |  Category:   life outings

I love cloudy days at the beach. You aren’t blinded by the sun and distracted by harsh shadows; everything’s cast with an even light. I like the dramatic skies. I like that you don’t have to hide from the sun. I like that you don’t have to be so anal about applying sunscreen even more.

Our beach days are numbered. This may have been the last time we hit the beach this summer as we’ll be headed out west in 2 weeks (a beach where the water isn’t freezing, that is). Funny how that works. There are only so many weekends in the summer and so many things to do that we only get to do things once or twice.
I can feel the seasons starting to change even if the weather isn’t there yet. The school supplies aisles at Target were mobbed and a mess today even though NY schools don’t start until after Labor Day. What is that about? And yet…there we were, trying to get a head start on buying supplies before the stores empty out, a first grade supply list in hand mailed by the teacher…

• Noelani July 30, 2012 at 1:44 am

Stormy beach days are the best. And you just reminded me … we better get a jump start on our school shopping as well. Hard to believe my daughter will be in First grade. Where does the time go?

• Pink Ronnie July 30, 2012 at 3:06 am

That first pic needs to be turned into a canvas print, Jenna!
    I love photos of stormy seascapes as well. They’re always so evocative and yours are no exception! I hope you enjoy your 2 weeks away…
    Ronnie xo

• Erendira July 30, 2012 at 8:36 am

Hi Jenna! Love the girls’ bathing suits. So cute. I also wanted to pop over to say that UVA and UVB rays are always present, even on a cloudy day, so being anal about sunscreen at the beach is always a good idea! I’m headed out the the NW in a few days to…so looking forward to the rocky Seattle beaches and parks!

• Mary July 30, 2012 at 9:17 am

Hi Jenna. Mia looks so grown up! I think you mentioned something about it a few posts ago, but I can definitely see in these shots the woman she’s becoming. Having only just started out on the journey of motherhood, the thought of my sixth month old one day becoming a man is pretty daunting but I’m sure time will help prepare me. Beautiful photographs – are you still using film? M xx

• Jenna July 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

@mary thanks! these are taken with my digital. I don’t have a film camera…yet! though my friend Jill lets me borrow hers and I will take one on our trip.

• Melissa@Julia's Bookbag July 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I love stormy skies at the beach! GREAT shots. I hear you, there is change in the air, and I feel so alarmed because our nice weather JUST STARTED in Seattle really. My daughter Julia is also going into 1st grade and we have yet to do our school supplies shopping yet….

• Sora July 30, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Cloudy skies and the foamy waves — just beautiful. I love school supplies, but am realizing now that I gots to get my butt in order and buy some for my daughter who will be starting Kinder in August. Boy, it’s going to be a hot beginning of the school year over here.

• liz rose July 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Mia looks JUST like Mark in that photograph. Adorable swim suits too.

• jen July 31, 2012 at 12:03 am

love these photos! we’re heading east for 2 weeks…. i can’t wait for the summer weather, although i’m sure i’ll start complaining on day 2.

• DRESSING IVANA July 31, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Woooh so lovely pics!

• aw July 31, 2012 at 6:23 pm

The girls are beautiful. I’m hoping we get to the beach at least two more times in August before we go away to visit family down south. Half the school shopping is done. Got school uniforms at Target the last two weekends. I’m already dreading the mob scene for the school supplies part.

• Sarah August 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I’m looking at this post on my iPhone, slowly scrolling down through the pictures, just appreciating the beauty of it all. Scrolling, slowly scrolling… loving the swimsuits, the pic of Claudine, then Mia in the towel… and then POW! The photo of Mia at the end… I burst into tears. I don’t really know why. It’s just so beautiful. Thank you sharing.

• Sarah August 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm

*for* sharing

• Jenna August 1, 2012 at 10:37 pm

@Sarah aw thanks. and wow…that is quite a reaction to that photo!

• Sophia August 2, 2012 at 10:01 am

Of course…come labor day, Christmas season begins.
    Overcast days are like one giant softbox overhead. Love.

• DRESSING IVANA August 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Lovely photos, amazing light!