Recent purchases and this month’s boot obsessions

September 7, 2012 |  Category:   happy purchases

I finally bought a few things last month from a few independent artists who I admire and had been wanting to buy from for awhile. Up top is Shanna Murray’s hand drawn, illustrated wall decals. Isn’t the packaging charming? I bought 2 decals. I haven’t applied them yet to our walls, but I know exactly where I want them. You can check out what they look like on a wall at Shanna’s website.
The bag is from bookhou. I haven’t bought a new bag in years and I’ve been wanting a more lightweight summery bag than the leather black bag that I usually carry every day. This one is perfect. It even has a zippered top which is what really sold me. Actually, I love everything that Arouna designs and makes. Totally up my aesthetic alley.

And now that we’re into Fall, I’ve had boots on my radar…
Like these rain boots. When did I become that person who wears rain boots? In all my years on this planet, five of those living in the Pacific Northwest, I never owned a pair of rain boots until 5 or so years ago. I think it was all those years of pushing the stroller in the rain, and now I can’t imagine NOT owning a pair of rain boots. But I need a new pair as the ones I have are cracked at the seams and lets water in. I’ve tried to seal the crack multiple times with shoe glue. Doesn’t really work for long. I’ve bought the same Tretorn brand rain boots on sale for the girls one year and they seem very well constructed.
Speaking of the girls, Claudine and I took a trip into Manhattan to get these cute little booties from Zara for new school shoes. We got a similar pair last year from Zara in brown, and she wore them nearly everyday. They looked great with jeans, leggings or dresses. Mia picked out these short biker boots at Target (sometimes I can’t quite figure out her “style”. One minute she’s in girly floral sundresses and the next minute she wants biker boots and to dress in all black).

While I might not be buying myself a pair of boots this year, I really have been wanting these Hudson Horrigan wrap strap boots for a awhile. Meh. No more in my size. Just as well…And while we’re dreaming…these Opening Ceremony boots…oh, you slay me.

• kin September 7, 2012 at 11:11 am

hey jenna – re: your cracked rain boots, i had a much loved pair of winter boots that got a crack/hole right in the bottom of the sole a few years ago while walking around in a slushy & freezing toronto. i came home that day with one frostbitten foot. my boyfriend filled the hole in my boot with silicone and they’re still waterproof to this day.

• Jenna September 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

@kin hi! Yes, I have tried that. It’s just at a place where the seam is weak so the glue or silicone lasts for a few days, then cracks again…

• Deirdre September 7, 2012 at 11:40 am

I just bought one of those bags! It looks awesome. I’d been carrying around a black Muji nylon bag all summer which was great in many ways but had too many pockets, so I could never find anything. It also had a bit too much resemblance to my MIL’s le sportsac.

Thanks for the tip!

• Katie September 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

Steve Madden has an almost straight rip of the Hudson Horrigan boots, if you are okay with knockoffs (which I sort of feel like you aren’t, but who knows, they are cheaper!):

• Jenna September 7, 2012 at 11:50 am

@Katie ha! I’ve seen those! It is SUCH a direct rip off. But it is cheaper. I don’t know how I feel about them.

• nikki September 7, 2012 at 12:18 pm

love this bag and have been wanting it for awhile too! looks stunning!

• cantaloupe September 7, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Love the bag!

• Juju September 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Love your new purchases! (btw, have you tried the LLBean’s rain boots? I love mine!)

• Lara September 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Which wall decals did you buy? I love all of those!

• Jenna September 8, 2012 at 12:58 am

@Juju I haven’t, but I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

• Jenna September 8, 2012 at 12:59 am

@lara I bought one of the laurel wreath borders and one of the you are loved messages

• arounna September 8, 2012 at 1:27 am

thanks jenna for the kind words
    so glad to hear you’re happy with the bag
    I’m a big fan of shanna too and it was great meeting her last winter at second storie craft show.

all the best,

• Lesley September 8, 2012 at 2:28 am

Oh geez. Those ankle boots! You are killing me.
    Love your purchases too. Funny, I was just thinking this afternoon that I finally have the perfect place for one of shanna’s wall decals.

• Stephanie @ Blawsom September 8, 2012 at 6:12 am

Ooo… Bookhou has some beautiful totes & pouches! Completely affordable as well. MUST feature on my blog as a wishlist :)

• suzanne September 8, 2012 at 7:42 am

For winter I started wearing Bogs a few years ago and I’ll never go back. Completely waterproof and warm, Now my son also wears them. Looks kind of dorky but we don’t care.

• caroline September 8, 2012 at 8:47 am

I’m sad to say I have never owned rainboots. I always wanted one ever since watching Ramona in 2nd grade (your little daughter reminds me of her) along with a raincoat, but they’d get little use here in la. But when it does rain I can totally see how necessary it is. I’ve been eye-ing these Loeffler Randall ones for awhile and just last week when I decided to go ahead and make the purchase, they are sold out. boo! & I love those little zara booties.

• shanna murray September 8, 2012 at 3:47 pm

when an order from you popped up it sure made my day, Jenna. love knowing you have my decals in your home. there’s nothing better at work than when someone you have huge respect and admiration for orders something. thanks for your kind words. happy weekend! xo

• Sharon Der September 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Beautiful purchases. I love Zara for kids! I too have been shopping and getting ready for Fall/Winter weather here in SF.

• Eva B. September 8, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Love bookhou I have the tote with triangle pattern.

Dolce Vita also has knockoff of the Hudson Horrigan boots:

• Karen September 9, 2012 at 2:23 am

Love your purchases posts! You are so frugal, I spend money left right and centre, and you always make me feel that I need to grow up, and plan! Anyway on a lighter note, these boots are the bomb!

• Jenna September 9, 2012 at 9:21 am

@Eve – I hav seen those dolce vita knock offs too! I don’t know…something about the leather in the boots, is not the same as the Hudsons.

• Jenna September 9, 2012 at 9:22 am

@Karen I try to be frugal – sometimes temptations gives in though. And I LOVE Acne boots. So very pricey though!

• Jenna September 9, 2012 at 10:44 am

Thanks Arouna and Shanna for your comments! I love your work so much and happy to have them in my life. xo

• Jocy September 10, 2012 at 9:50 am

I love the tote and I just checked out the site… darling. I carry a bunch of stuff during the day and have been looking for a nicer tote bag – one that I can wear as i walk to work, but that I won’t feel uncomfortable about if I’m having a work meeting. Also, my totes get so dirty in Bangkok. Just filthy.

• Karyn September 10, 2012 at 11:11 am

Great picks, Jenna! Thanks so much. I have now glanced at the Opening Ceremony boots 3 times — danger!

• tracy September 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm

love those bookhou totes (well and everything they make)! i’ve been debating to get one, do you think the tote can handle carrying a laptop (not a very big one) along with other items? i’ve been looking for a better bag to use for work/daily life…
    btw, love your purchase posts! :)

• Sandra September 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Hi Jenna,

I am a regular reader of your great blog though I never leave comments. I felt I should leave a comment to this post thinking of your previous hesitation to add your – currently obsessed feature and posts like this on things you like and purchase.

Not only your taste is great and is a resource almost that you share, but posts of this type are actually even a little service you do to your readers. It is very likely that I would have never known about these bags and their designer…and instead I am happy I did!

I think that particularly for who lives in cities much smaller than NY, sprawling for miles, shopping for a specific aesthetic can be challenging and so is the web without blogs like yours. So thank you for sharing -all- you share here.

• Jenna September 14, 2012 at 9:21 am

@sandra thank you for leaving such a nice supportive comment! I really appreciate it and glad that you enjoy these once monthly posts.

• Jenna September 14, 2012 at 9:22 am

@tracy – sorry to get back to you so late but yes, the tote does fit a laptop. If you had the laptop in a sleeve it might be a tight fit, but otherwise it does (I have a 15 inch macbook pro, btw)