the girl knows what she wants

October 15, 2012 |  Category:   life outings parenting

I think Claudine takes after me in more ways than one, but the thing I’m noticing lately is just how particular she is about things and how she belabors over certain decisions. I always think that the most stressful part of Project Runway is when they have to shop at Mood Fabrics and I can never ever be on that show (well, other than the fact that I’m not a fashion designer) purely because of the fact that I can take FOREVER deciding on a purchase. The last time I was at Mood I spent about an hour and a half just choosing 3 yards of a single linen. I think that part of the competition alone would be the death of me. I had to chuckle over the summer when a cousin of ours wanted to buy the girls rings at a jewelry store and Claudine agonized over which ring to choose. It was pretty painful, but we tried to be patient because she took it all so very seriously and was obviously tortured by the decision. At one point, she took a ring over to the middle of the store underneath a skylight where the light was shining down and held the ring between her fingers over her head to the light to get a closer look. I was anticipating a melt down if she didn’t find a ring she eventually liked, but she did, much to the relief of everyone.

This weekend’s pumpkin picking was a similar experience. Mia found her pumpkin right away and promptly named it “Bob”. I saw Claudine walk off into the distance away from everyone else looking intently. She was quiet and serious and wearing a scowl on her face so I didn’t know if something had upset her. Mark and I tried to help by pointing out perfectly round pumpkins for her. She would quickly inspect them and move on, unsatisfied. After about a half hour I saw her pick a pumpkin up and smile. She brought it over to us, obviously happy with her choice. When we were able to get a look at what she had picked, we were surprised. Her pumpkin was elongated, a little odd shaped and mottled green on one side, orange on the other. She told us that she was searching for a pumpkin that was not like any others, that was different and unique. Here we were lining up these perfectly round, orange pumpkins for her to check out and that’s not what she was looking for at all. The girl definitely knows what she wants.
ps. corn mazes are like the stuff of nightmares.

• Tina October 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Reading this put a smile on my face.

• Melissa@Julia's Bookbag October 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Ditto the above comment! And is that a missing front tooth I see?

• Jenna October 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm

@melissa. Yes! That’s her 3rd and she has 2 or 3 other loose teeth

• John October 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Mia made a great choice!

• Seema October 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm

wow, amazing post. It’s incredible how young we are when certain characteristics of our personalities surface – and they more often than not stay with us for life. Very profound, enjoy all your posts but particularly this one. The girls are growing up very fast!

• Misha October 15, 2012 at 4:50 pm

This is such a sweet story; the kind that warms the heart about childhood and becoming oneself, as well revealing how patience with others can have rewards. Like your other readers, it definitely made me smile too. Thanks for sharing this lovely story.

• myra October 15, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Oh my gosh, my son also takes forever to decide when given a choice. Last week we went to the store to buy a pumpkin and he went through the entire bin and took forever deciding on which one he wanted, but once he found the “perfect” pumpkin he also promptly named it “Bob”. How funny.

• paige October 15, 2012 at 11:21 pm

may she always go “against the grain.” we need more people like her in this world. i hope she never loses that self-confidence and that independent spirit.

• Gower October 15, 2012 at 11:44 pm

What a great story! I love when children surprise us adults with their choices and the reasons behind them, especially when their choices reflect thoughtful, “outside the box”-type thinking.

• Helle (Helen) October 16, 2012 at 3:24 am

I like the idea of naming one’s pumpkin Bob!

• Bobbi October 16, 2012 at 7:56 am

Thanks for sharing this story! Love it! It reminds me so much of my daughter. When we are at the bookstore, library or pumpkin patch, my daughter is the same way. She has to find the “perfect” book, pumpkin or whatever. She is definitely like her mama. :) The girls’ ponchos are adorable. Where are they from?

• Candace October 16, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Good girl! The true mark of a creative…..think differently.

• Christine Somers October 16, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I bet she also remains committed to her choices because she puts so much thought into her choice.

• ethaney October 16, 2012 at 12:54 pm

adore her!

• Renita October 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

My calendar arrived today and it is awesome! Thank you for the cookies, they did not last long … delicious! Here’s a fun link to the Office of the Tooth Fairy, that you and your family may enjoy:

• paula October 16, 2012 at 2:03 pm

ugh corn mazes are terrifying! Let me out!
    Beautiful photos.

• Patricia October 16, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Well, corn mazes can be kind of romantic in the early fall. When the crowds are gone and it’s just you and your honey, walking the fields that your family farms with the stars sparkling overhead.

Of course, it helps if a) you know the field really well, so that b) you’re not feeling like a tribute to a minotaur.

• Lilly October 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Just stopping by to tell you that I really like to read style of writing… especially your ps. made me laugh out lout :)

• Aya October 16, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Wonderful story and fun to see her jack-o-lantern smile.

• Vivian Doan October 16, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I think it is amazing that one so young can be so particular. I love it! Children are fascinating.They make you stop and think, and smile. My son, who is almost 16 months, surprises me every day. Today, I tried to walk to the grocery store with him… which takes about 10 times longer, since he stops for everything. He was walking on the crunchy leaves and smiling about it. I cannot remember the last time I did that.

• Jae October 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Such a cute story! And where are their jackets from?? I want one!

• Jenna October 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Everyone asking about the ponchos, it’s from my friend Ismodern line, but she is not in business anymore :(

• cs October 18, 2012 at 12:23 am

i’ve been following your blog for a few years now and just wanted to ask if you’re a pisces. i am and true to the sign, i am undecisive. i, too, take too long to make a simple decision sometimes. anyway, this post made me smile.

• linn October 18, 2012 at 3:39 am

that is so sweet.

• ana October 19, 2012 at 7:02 pm

wow, I just looked at some of your old posts from 2008 and now she is missing a tooth! scary and amazingly beautiful, passage of time…

My little girl just turned 2 this week and I am already missing her being a baby

• Jeane M. October 21, 2012 at 9:15 am

My what can I say, she perfectly knows what shes wants what a little lady she is. Love the pics in here.