a birthday and an election

November 6, 2012 |  Category:   life

Miss C is 6 today. She’s been aware that her birthday is on election day for a number of weeks now and any time she hears about the election she asks “why are they talking about my birthday?”

I’m pretty nervous about the election. I can’t believe it’s this close (I don’t understand how it could be this close) and have no idea which way it will go, which will prove to be a nail biter of a day.
On the walk home from the first day back at school after the storm yesterday she said that she wished she could vote. I told her that she couldn’t because you had to be 18, but I asked her if she could vote, who would she vote for? “Obama!!”

• Lara November 6, 2012 at 1:10 am

Nail biter of a day, for sure! I’d planned to get a pedicure but maybe I should get a manicure instead…

• Jo November 6, 2012 at 1:34 am

Happiest Birthday Miss C.
    Lots of Love as you celebrate your birthday :)

• jen November 6, 2012 at 1:35 am

i look at Miss C and i look at my daughter, i get knots in my stomach of what can happen tomorrow. yes, i will be praying hard for tomorrow’s results!

• Michelle | True My Lens November 6, 2012 at 1:52 am

Happy birthday Claudine! What a lovely photo :)

• Melissa@Julia's Bookbag November 6, 2012 at 2:50 am

This picture, right here, is my absolute favorite picture out of all the ones I’ve ever seen on your blog, and there has been stunning picture after stunning picture. THAT FACE. Oh her happy little face! What a treasure that you got her expression on camera.

I cannot fathom how this race is close either. My daughter is VERY into the whole election deal, even at age 6. They’ve been discussing it at school. She was very excited to hear that the President comes from Hawaii, just like mommy!

• Jocy November 6, 2012 at 3:28 am

Happy birthday to Miss C!

This election is a nail biter. I woke up anxious today. Interestingly, the news in this part of the world (at least through my Australian colleagues) is that the race isn’t that close – that Obama is way ahead.

• Linda Ullrich November 6, 2012 at 4:04 am

Happy Birthday to Claudine!!!!

Thank you for all the links that you shared to help the people in the NYC area!

The election is THE thing for me, hope it will go out well…

Wish you a very nice day!!!

• onirical November 6, 2012 at 5:32 am

Happy Birthday C!
    I’m not from the US but know how important the result of this vote is, not just for the US. Can’t understand how it’s so close either. Sigh…

• Kelly November 6, 2012 at 6:10 am

Happy birthday Ms C!! She is turning into a gorgeous wee girl!

• Simone November 6, 2012 at 6:17 am

I hope Miss C. gets her wish for her birthday. I have my birthday on november 3, for years the US used to vote on that date. So many odd things happen around that date it is weird. Itzak Rabin was shot on the 4th, Theo van Gogh on the 2nd.
    But when you’re 6 you don’t have to bother with all that.
    Have a joy-filled day!!!

• Juju November 6, 2012 at 6:21 am

Happy birthday to Miss C! And thank goodness the girls are back in school, right? I too can’t believe the election day is here… I wish I can just wake up tomorrow morning and know who won :)

• Sally November 6, 2012 at 6:21 am

Oh to have a bite of one of your all’s birthday cakes!!!

• Sarah November 6, 2012 at 6:45 am

Beauty AND brains!:) What a cool little person.

• Kristina November 6, 2012 at 7:13 am

happy birthday miss c!

• Susan November 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

What a special day for a birthday! Birthday wishes to Claudine!

I’m also incredibly nervous about the election…and yes, how in the world did it become so close?!

• JoBrena November 6, 2012 at 8:13 am

Now that’s a smart girl! Anyway, happy birthday Claudine. Peace, love, and extreme happiness! Hearts <3<3<3

• RebeccaNYC November 6, 2012 at 8:34 am

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl.

• Diane November 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

happy birthday miss C ~ what a wonderful shot of her spirit ~ she gives me hope on this nail-biter day!

• soda November 6, 2012 at 9:51 am

Happy Birthday! Miss C is one smart cookie! 😉 Have a wonderful beautiful day!

• Pamela November 6, 2012 at 10:08 am

Good girl! Here’s hoping for that bday wish!

• Eva_Lotta November 6, 2012 at 10:13 am

Happy Birthday!

• Cassie November 6, 2012 at 10:40 am

It is hard to believe it’s so close. Ugh.

• Clara November 6, 2012 at 11:45 am

Yeeeaaaaah Claudine!! Happy birthday to her! Thanks for all your help with the Sandy support stuff, Jenna. Yay social media…haha.

• Summer November 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Tell Claudine happy birthday!

As a lefty living in Texas my whole life, I can tell you a bit of why it’s a close race. I really think down here, people just like the word “conservative.” I’m not kidding. It’s connected with strong religious beliefs as though religion and affordable health care have anything to do with one another. Then, there’s the education stand point. My mother genuinely believes that Obama is a Muslim terrorist who plans to change our flag, national anthem, and make all of us be Muslim. Again…I am not kidding. Some people believe whatever an email forward tells them is true. One said he was going to get rid of Medicare, which really set her off (and is amusing to me, because Dems have a stonger stance with Medicare).

Anyway, I posted Julia Segal’s tweet (in quotations with her name) last night, and set off an attack on my facebook page. I was the only one to stand up for myself, but I got a lot of fb messages of people too scared or furious to say anything in my defense. The tweet, which again I posted in good humor was:
    “Hey Republicans, remember when Romney tried to run for President in 2008, and you were all, “LOL, NO!”? That was fun.”

• Candace November 6, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Happy B-Day Claudine! You’re one cool girlfriend! I will be glad when this election is over, I need to know if I’m going to stay here or have to move to Europe or Canada :)

• gina November 6, 2012 at 12:34 pm

“The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree”?
    My daughter is studying in Seoul this semester
    and still cast her vote and is following the election,
    wishing that she were home to watch the results.
    For all of the cynicism, this stuff matters.

How wonderful to be turning six! Happy birthday
    mom and daughter.

• nichole November 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Happy Birthday! What a sweet photo.

• Nina November 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Good girl! :) Happy birthday!

I too find it difficult to understand how it is so close. Carrying a pit of anxiety in my stomach all day.

• Simone November 6, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I’m biting my nails too (wish I wasn’t). I loved your blog for quite some time now and love it even more I know your very smart daughter would vote for Obama. My nearly 7 year old said the same thing 😉

• Clytie November 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Happy birthday, Miss C!! Stay happy! :)

As for the elections. American embassy in my country has a party/election day today and currently the votes are 165 for Obama and 43 for Romney. I know this sort of result is impossible in USA, but I surely hope we will wake up tomorrow and see that Americans voted for continuation of positive changes in US and the rest of the world :)

• DominikaZR November 6, 2012 at 5:04 pm

My 9 years old daughter came from school today and said:
    “This Mitt Romney is a very weird guy, I really hope Obama wins”.

They saw photos of both candidates in the school and she just didn’t like the face of Mitt Romney.

By the way, we live in England :)

• lilcg November 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm

happy birthday! Wonderful picture. And I feel the same way–I don’t understand how this is happening. I live in VA and in my town it is sadly pretty much split along color lines with only a few of us holding out. my neighbors wouldn’t even trick or treat at my house this year–I am the only Obama house in a sea of Romney.

• victoria November 6, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Jenna can I tell you that it’s not just the US who are on the edge of their seats. Way over on the other side of the world we are extremely anxious about the idea that the alternative could be the choice of the majority. A few years back an Australian election voted in a PM for a successive term by a significant majority and I remember looking at people I knew thinking “some of you must have voted for him” and feeling absolutely stunned that our views could be so different. We are rooting for OB to have another chance.

• Donna Clegg November 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Absolute fave photo you’ve ever posted. I love this child even though I’ve never met her.

• Lara November 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Lovely picture! Good instinct, Claudine- That is one birthday wish I hope comes true!!

• Anne-Marie November 7, 2012 at 4:56 am

I hope Miss C will be interested in politics when she gets older, given her birthday date!
    I think all of Europe is relieved by the result too.
    I’m intrigued by all the queues to vote. Why does this happen? Here (Ireland) voting turnout is about the same as the US but I’ve never seen queues (apart from a few minutes) to vote. But our polling stations seem to be open much longer (7am to 10pm) – is that part of it?

• Emma November 7, 2012 at 8:18 am

Congratulations from Australia :) We’re pretty happy over here as well.

• Sora November 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Woohoo! Also for Californians, Prop 30 passed, which was a huge relief for a public-school parent.

• Karen November 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Looks like miss C or her birthday wish!!!

• courtney November 8, 2012 at 3:01 am

• Asha November 8, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Over here in Australia we too are elated at the results of the election!