Hot Chocolate mixes and other biz news

November 30, 2012 |  Category:   holidays life the biz

Well this is exciting. A brand new product – and I mean new as in different – just in time for the holidays. If you’ve ever been to any of our markets during the cold weather months, you may have tried our signature Earl Grey Hot Chocolate. People have been asking for this as a mix to make at home for years and Mark finally had some time this Fall to concoct a mix that closely replicates what he makes for the markets. What, it only took us 2 years. Oh man, I should show you our laundry list of product ideas that we have never gotten around to in the past 5 years we’ve been in business (5 years, what?). It’s sort of embarrassing how slow we move to get things going around here, but that’s what happens I guess when you have 2 people running the company with 1 person who doesn’t know how to bake. Or maybe it’s what Mark said to me yesterday, “Why do we have so many freaking products?”.

We’re starting our holiday market season tomorrow at the Bust Magazine Holiday Craftacular at 82 Mercer Street, Sat & Sun from 11-7 (these are loooooooooooong days). The rest of our holiday market schedule can be seen on our site.
Earl Grey Hot Chocolate Mix available (finally) here.
ps. I do apologize to all the West Coast customers for the high shipping charges, but we can’t control that unfortunately. We don’t really tack on any handling charges either. It costs a lot to ship priority mail to the West Coast from NY. Oh, the cost of doing business!

• Patricia November 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Can you please ship to Canada? I know it would cost more, but some people would definitely go for it (such as myself). I’ve wanted some of those marshmallows forever… but Earl Grey Hot Chocolate? Yes, please!

• Jenna November 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm

@Patricia ok, let me see what it would cost. It would be available in our etsy shop since we could hand pick items that could withstand longer shipping times on there.

• Michelle November 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Oooh, that sounds delicious! Do you know off-hand if the mix is vegan?

• Jenna November 30, 2012 at 3:21 pm

@Michelle there is no dairy in the mix. FYI we list all of our ingredients for every product on our website!

• Melissa@Julia's Bookbag November 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm

oh MY. I think this is what my husband is getting for Christmas!

• Michelle November 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Great, thanks Jenna! I did look at the ingredients in the shop, but just wasn’t sure if the chocolate listed was a milk chocolate or a dark chocolate.

• Jenna November 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm

@Michelle. Oh, good point. I will put that in the listing then.

• Jen November 30, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I was just wondering, do your girls sample a lot of the baked goods that you sell at the store? Do they get the “leftovers” that don’t make it out to the customers?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

• Jenna November 30, 2012 at 3:57 pm

@Jen Actually, not at all. They don’t eat a lot of sugar and rarely leftover cookies (thankfully we don’t have a lot of leftovers and most of those go to neighbors). Mia’s christmas list this year contains 2 of our products that she’s never tried, haha! We’re pretty careful with sugar partly because we don’t have dental insurance. I wish I was kidding but I’m not! Great teeth do not run in our family but aside from 1 small cavity, the 4 of us have been cavity free for the last 10 years or so. I can’t say the same about me when I was the girls’ age!

• Alma November 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Like how the instructions for preparing are just below the main name, no backside position, sort of lets get straight to the point. Drink with an attitude:)

• Samantha November 30, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I agree with shipping to Canada!

• Karen November 30, 2012 at 7:32 pm

hey jenna! just saw one of your products featured in’s entertaining gift awesome! :-)

• dervla @ The Curator December 1, 2012 at 1:35 am

HEAVEN! My two favorite flavors together in one mix. Have to try this out!

• thea December 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Would you ship to Singpaore please? It would be a Christmas wish come true ( :

• Jill December 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm

YES! So happy to see you guys branch out into this mix. I can’t wait to grab some! Have you tried it with various kinds of milk? Curious what you and Mark prefer. :)

• Susan December 1, 2012 at 6:41 pm

YUM YUM!

• Jenna December 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm

@Jill – I did actually make it yesterday with soy milk – it was great, but I only had vanilla soy which I’m generally not too big a fan of to begin with anyway. I’d probably like it more with regular soy.

• Clara December 5, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Aaaah huge congrats to you guys! So exciting to see your business grow, Jenna. I’m so inspired by you guys!

• stephanie December 8, 2012 at 3:00 am

Is it possible to command the earl grey chocolate for belgium?

• Jenna December 10, 2012 at 3:27 pm

@stephanie Probably too late for holiday shipping as international timeline is all over the place, but maybe after the holidays we will think about it.