February 25, 2014 |  Category:   life outings

It was mid-winter break last week. Seemed like everyone we knew was either skiing or in Mexico, but the girls and I didn’t do much. I pushed through deadlines while they played at home. Fifty something glorious degrees on the weekend made the snow melt in the city, but the snow was too much in the surrounding areas to make much of a dent.

We visited a farm on Long Island Saturday, family owned and operated by a couple and their adult children since they bought it in the late 70s. There was one thing that the father said when he was answering questions about life on a farm that stood out for me. Someone asked if raising chickens was hard work. He said, no it wasn’t hard work, but you had to be 100% committed. I thought it was interesting that he made a point to differentiate between the two. It made me think about our business – our “family farm” – and really any business out there. The work itself isn’t necessarily hard, but you have to be 100% committed. Those words never rung more true.

• sylvï February 25, 2014 at 7:24 am

this rings very true to me, because i’d love to keep chicken and ducks especially, but knowing that i can’t commit that 100% at the moment keeps me from getting them. my heart really yearns for that particular commitment, though. one day…

• Lakshmi February 25, 2014 at 11:37 am

It also connects with your earlier post. When you are 100% committed to your work, whether you love it or not ceases to matter, perhaps?

• Sandra February 25, 2014 at 11:39 am

So true and thought provoking. We so often refer to how difficult a task is, and not our level of commitment to it. Perhaps considering the latter would change how we experience our tasks. Thanks for sharing!

• Roseann February 25, 2014 at 12:04 pm

My mom raises chickens, and the last time I stayed with her she had to go out of town and the responsibility was left to me. It is time consuming, and you have to repeat a lot of the same steps multiple time throughout the day. She has a system, so for her it’s mindless. For me I had to keep racking my brain to make sure I wasn’t forgetting things. She loves her hens and treats them really well. They have no idea how good they have it. I didn’t feel very much love for them when I was tending them, they woke me up in the morning with their clucking, and I had to drag myself out of bed to let them out and feed and water them. They are stinky and loud and sometimes they pecked the bug bites on my bare legs. I suppose if you’re doing something you love it isn’t hard work. And the love for it propels you and drives your commitment. As a photographer, I don’t think what I do is necessarily hard, but it is time consuming and requires a lot of my attention. And no one else could run my business, so there’s that pressure. But then again there’s nothing I’d rather do.

• Brandy February 25, 2014 at 12:08 pm

As a farmer with chickens, ducks and pigs, (as well as a small business owner), it is true. You have to be committed or your business in order to succeed. Doesn’t matter if you are selling eggs or real estate!

• nichole February 26, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Very true. Some days it’s really hard and I get derailed, but ultimately I know that if I am committed things will pan out.

That first shot is so beautiful.

• Sophia February 27, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Reading this for me reinforces that just getting outside and interacting with people, near or far helps form, educate and rejuvenate one’s own desires and goals both as an individual and as a family.
    Jenna I enjoy popping in here and reading your thoughts on life.

• Jenna February 27, 2014 at 5:07 pm

That is so true Sophia. I have to remind myself this all the time. I can get so closed in at home in my little world if I am working a lot. It’s easy to not get out for days.

• Courtney March 7, 2014 at 9:22 am

What farm is that? Looking for a day trip from Brooklyn. Looks perfect! Thanks!!

• Jenna March 10, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Hi Courtney. This was at a Benner’s Farm in Long Island. even though the day was warm, there was still a lot of snow on the ground, so it was kind of hard to get a real sense of the farm and it’s not very rural (it’s sort of nestled in a neighborhood with other houses around). There are so many farms on the North Fork of Long Island, though! I would search around a bit.