threads at Governors Island

July 7, 2014 |  Category:   art + design life

An open studio visit on Governors Island’s Artist in Residency program. Gabrielle Duggan’s studio on the top floor of one of the old buildings in Colonel Row. It was very calming to be in that space, all nooks and crannies and peeling paint. I could have sat there and traced each thread as it weaved itself around the stairwell landing for hours.

No one is an island; everyone is connected. Your words and comments are very much appreciated.

• Kate July 7, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Your words speak to me. Your silence whispers. Thank you.
    I pray that you will experience peace and comfort through your grieving.
    Psalm 34:18 “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”

• nan July 7, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Such gorgeous photos!! The thread art looks amazing in that space.

• Natalie July 8, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hi Jenna,

I am sorry for your loss. i’ve experienced similar thing with a friend of mine and i can understand a fraction of the pain you must be feeling. all i can say is that the saying is true “time heals all wounds”, and there is not much you can do for the pain to go away except give it time.
    anyway, i have really been enjoying your blog last couple of years, you are a great inspiration, being a stay-at-home mom/artist can be solitary sometimes and yours is one of the blogs that i follow and enjoy so i hope you decide to continue with it!
    I wish you all the best!

• Rachel July 9, 2014 at 12:32 am

Lovely images and sentiment attached. Thank you for sharing your journey.

• Rosa Albornoz July 9, 2014 at 10:04 am

Art is a healing and powerful force. Your photos are amazing!

• Mellany Sweeney July 10, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for seven years now – which of course means, I feel like I know you – and I’ve only commented a few times. I don’t know what I could possible say that would bring you real comfort…just know that I am sorry for the loss of your brother, and that even though we are strangers, I care. I say feel your feelings – cry when you’re sad, laugh when you’re happy and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Peace and blessings to you and yours…Mel

• Caris July 13, 2014 at 11:36 pm

This is hauntingly beautiful! Even the peeled-off paint is gorgeous.