Cape Flattery, the most northwestern point in the US

September 21, 2016 |  Category:   life Seattle & the NW travels

jpark_capeflattery3
It often starts with a photo. A photo of a place that seems so unreal, I need to see it for myself. And sometimes, that is how I plan our summer trips back to Washington. Luckily for us, there is so much to see in the Pacific Northwest that our annual summer trips to visit family don’t feel the same every year. It’s enabled us to travel affordably and still feel like we got away. And Cape Flattery? It’s one of those places that we keep saying we should visit, even when we lived in Washington. But honestly? I’m not sure I would have appreciated it as much when I was younger. There’s something about having lived through all the challenges of life that come with age and experience, including suffering through life tragedies, that make you appreciate a place so other worldly. And even sitting here back in my apartment in NYC, I sometimes look at these photos and think…was this place real?

jpark_capeflattery
jpark_capeflattery2
jpark_capeflattery4
These spots on the Washington Coast (Shi Shi beach is pictured below) is remote because access to these views and beaches are accessible only by hiking in. The trails are old growth forests – some through Indian reservation land which requires a permit from the Makah tribe. We did both hikes in a single day which may have been a bit ambitious with 2 kids considering the trail down to Shi Shi Beach was a few miles ending in a steep climb. But there is nothing like seeing the first glimpse of the ocean through a clearing between the trees after having hiked a few miles (and having no real markers on the trail!).

Cape Flattery…when I finally saw the cliffs and sea stacks, it overwhelmed me. We got there during golden hour, at the end of a very long and tiring day and I really wanted to stay for sunset to watch the water, the sky and the cliffs change with the light, but we reluctantly left with about an hour to go before the sun would dip below the ocean. But this isn’t going to be my last visit, and I’ll come at a different time of day to see how the light and weather changes the view. Even now, as I feel overwhelmed with everyday life, I’m clinging to these photos because they’re giving me life. Melodrama aside, I continue to seek out big nature, if only to remind myself that the world is bigger than me.

jpark_shishibeach7
jpark_shishibeach4
jpark_shishibeach5
jpark_shishibeach2
jpark_shishibeach6
jpark_shishibeach

11 Comments

• Reply terken September 22, 2016 at 2:35 am

It looks dreamy! We went as far as Port Angeles, when we lived in Auburn. Seeing these beautiful photos, I now wish we took longer trips. Maybe one day when kids are older, we will.

• Reply Jenna September 24, 2016 at 11:08 pm

You should, terken. I don’t think I knew you lived in Washington. Hopefully you can go some day.

• Reply Linda September 22, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Such pretty scenery! There is so much to discover in this part of the states, I have barely made a dent.

• Reply Jenna September 24, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Yes, already planning next summer’s trip!

• Reply Caddy September 24, 2016 at 10:33 am

I love all your photos of the PNW and these are particularly stunning! Definitely a great reminder that life is so much bigger and so much more than what I do on a daily basis living and working in a crowded city.

• Reply Jenna September 24, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Thank you, Caddy!

• Reply LAra September 26, 2016 at 11:30 am

Beautiful! As always so glad to see your pictures and words..

• Reply Lakshmi September 27, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I am fascinated with that part of the country. Jenna, if it won’t be too much of a bother, can you share a list of your top destinations in PNW? Thank you. 🙂

• Reply Jenna September 30, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Hi Lakshmi, Well, I have to say that Cape Flattery is at the top of my list now. But also check out Ruby Beach for easier access to the WA coast. The Oregon coast is beautiful as well, but I love the remote and ruggedness of the WA coast. Lake Crescent is beautiful as well as the entire Olympic National Park (Hoh rainforest, hurricane ridge). And the san Juan islands, of course!

• Reply Hong December 5, 2016 at 12:38 am

Please let me know if you’d ever like to experience Seattle from the Sound. We sail all year long and you get a much different perspective from the water. As a matter of fact I spotted you and your little family several years ago when you guys were in Fremont and we had just motored through the canal! 🙂

• Reply Jenna December 8, 2016 at 12:34 am

I actually remember that day! It was years ago and we had just been at the Fremont market. I think you left a comment that you saw us. How random!