a flea market find

October 13, 2011 |  Category:   happy purchases me

Totally frivolous post today and sorry to bore the guys who read the blog – you know, all 5 of you – but boots! I’m never that girl anymore who finds that deal or flea market steal, mostly because I don’t have the leisure time to browse anymore (wish I did!), but the family and I were visiting our friends who sell at the Hester Street Market in the Lower East Side the other week and I spotted these boots for sale at a booth selling vintage clothing. And hey! Size 7, just my size. That hardly ever happens to me anymore. From what I could tell, they had never been worn and now I have a new pair of $400 Swedish Hasbeens for nearly 85% off.

Also, do you wear Oxfords? Specifically gray wingtip ones? I don’t usually, but I picked these up on final clearance for really cheap. I don’t know…the verdict is still out…it feels a little 80s throwback here…too preppy for me…maybe the argyle socks don’t help…

• Erin October 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I love both pairs. Great find! I’m pro-oxford, and those look adorable on you.

• Jane October 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Lucky! I think there just aren’t any stylish people getting rid of their nice things in my neighborhood πŸ˜‰

• JoBrena October 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Make that 6! I’ve been reading your blog religiously for a 2 months now. But, I like wingtips and argyle! If work allowed it, it would be an 80’s throwback all day everyday. Darn that business professional dress!

• Joana Gomes October 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I love both pairs, to be frank. Unfortunately, it’s way too hot to wear either at the moment. At least is Portugal. It feels like summer hasn’t left…

• Joana Gomes October 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm

*in Portugal

• Jenna October 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm

@joana, it was pretty hot here too up until yesterday. Hope fall weather is here to stay.

• Justine October 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I love Hasbeen’s. What a find!!!

• Katie October 13, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Two great finds! The oxfords are cute, but yeah maybe not with argyle. πŸ˜‰

• Pink Mango October 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Love both !!
    Can I ask you where you got your striped rug – I love that too πŸ™‚
    Thank you !!

• Sora October 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Love the oxfords — look great on you. What a great find on those boots. Isn’t it fun to grab a deal like that?! Happy Autumn.

• Catherine Gantt October 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I like this frivolous post! I think both shoes are lovely and am a bit jealous. πŸ˜‰ I actually have a pale grey pair of oxfords similar to yours that I wear constantly. They are so comfy! Plus argyle is the tops.

xx, C

• Jenna October 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm

@sora the rug is from my friends at Dwell. http://www.dwellstudio.com/home-decor-accents/decorative-rugs/draper-stripe-ink-cream-rug-5×8.html
    though, hmmm…seems to have gone up $50 in price the last time i looked!

• gia October 13, 2011 at 1:18 pm

We want to see the hasbeens on! I don’t have a clue on how to wear low boots. Show us that next time you go out in them..

• Kelly October 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Both are so cute! Those Hasbeens are going to be great when the weather turns.

I just gotta say – I’m continually inspired by you, Jenna! I’m always excited to see one of your posts in my google reader. I’m a former Brooklynite, now living in the midwest, and your photos always make me miss my old life there.

• theresa October 13, 2011 at 1:52 pm

400. wow. here (sweden) they are not even half that… let me know if you want a pair… although now you already have pair. heading out your way in january. the red ones are hot hot hot!

• Ashlae October 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm

What a steal! I love the boots and absolutely love wingtips – I have a pair of wingtip boots from Madewell and I practically live in them all winter long. Definitely one of those pieces that can completely transform and outfit.

• Jen October 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Those boots are a great find. I’m a size 7 as well and often have a hard time finding that size thrifting. But didn’t see those at the Hester Street Fair (just left NY). And you really can’t go wrong with oxfords as long as they’re comfortable. Just scored some cheap patent ones at the Williamsburg flea market. Love flea marketing!

• Jenna October 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm

@theresa – really? Even on teh swedish has been website, the sandals and boots cost that much in US dollars!

• Renita October 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Love the boots … and thank you … the calendar arrived today and it looks great in my office space

• theresa October 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Wow, awesome find. I’d been searching for clog boots for a couple years and ended up paying for the No. 6 ones just because I obsessed over them for more than a year and couldn’t be happier. But I’d definitely be happier if I had found them for 85% off!

• joyjoy October 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm

What a great find! Love the oxfords, too. From the pic the socks look more like black and white stripes than argyle.

• Cassie October 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm

UHGGGG. I’m never that girl either and I have always said if I get lucky and find a pair of hasbeens I’d be in heaven. I’m 100% jealous of your good luck!

• stylencritics October 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm

What a find! Last year this pairi of shoes was in my wish list i had written about this in my blog but the price was so high for me.I am so jealous!
    Well done!

• paula October 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

LOVE the oxfords. keep ’em!

• benson October 13, 2011 at 4:19 pm

love when a good deal lands in my lap. Just bought some black oxfords and am wearing them with tights and skirts–easy to walk in and still stylin πŸ™‚

• miranda October 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

love your sense of style. btw is that trench coat APC?

• Jenna October 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm

@miranda – thanks. the trench is actually from Uniqlo. Much cheaper and I have to say, feels well made.

• Ula October 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I love the first pair, I would buy them as well!:)

• Stella - Stella's style October 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm

congrats on the shoes! I was on the hunt for a pair of shoes for this fall, had one pair waiting for me at a store, when my sister and I decided to pop into this vintage/2nd hand shop, where she finds a pair – my size, even nicer looking for almost nothing! When I saw my mom later, I asked her if she knew the brand… turns out its a really nice one! lucky us! sometimes it happens!

• jen October 13, 2011 at 4:54 pm

OMG! I covet those shoes but *gulp* so out of my price range. lucky you. not a fan of wing tip shoes but you are working it!

• taste area October 13, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love the oxfords compared with the socks and the trousers this way..effortless style!!

• Atsuko October 13, 2011 at 6:03 pm

These are so lovely. What a nice deal you found!

• Tim McMurdo October 13, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I didn’t know there were five of us. I thought that I was alone. πŸ™‚

• Wendy October 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I don’t find the second pair preppy at all! They look so good!

• Jenna October 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

@Tim, haha! Maybe! You are one of the very few to comment occasionally, that’s for sure!

• Annie From Seattle October 13, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Cute, cute, cute! I LOVE your fashion posts, btw. No boring at all!

• theresa October 14, 2011 at 1:14 am

just checked the site and your pair are 1678 krona… 252 US dollars. i bought mine two years ago and then they were 1400 krona. inflation! every July they have a sale and then prices are slashed… got my sandals/clogs this year for 500 krona.

• Jenna October 14, 2011 at 1:20 am

@theresa if you look at this page it saids US prices are $393 including shipping http://www.swedishhasbeens.com/high-heeled-jodhpur-p-24.html The lower price is the sale price for certain colors

• Theresa October 14, 2011 at 2:15 am

Yep, sorry I mentioned red but I guess I was looking at new green prices.

• michi October 14, 2011 at 6:46 am

Cool and trendy….everything is OK even the frivolous post…

• Jennelle October 14, 2011 at 7:12 am

I’m so jealous of the Hasbeens, and it’s my size too! (lol)

Great finds.

• geena October 14, 2011 at 8:44 am

love the swedish boots i just bought wingtipped oxfords the other day for 45 bucks!

• Nicole Franzen October 14, 2011 at 10:07 am

I LOVE those boots and have been eyeing a pair since last season. I know they have a hefty price tag of 400 bucks. I saw at BK flea that there are some people who make them locally I think. They were on sale in the spring and I am so bummed I didnt grab a pair. I will get a pair this winter though! I must πŸ™‚

• Sebbie October 14, 2011 at 10:12 am

Cool shoes and honestly I love the frivolous post. Your blog has so much depth, but you know, it’s fun to read about fun dumb stuff too!

• Gaia October 14, 2011 at 11:09 am

oh man. I am green with shoe-envy.

• Meg October 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Fabulous finds! Love both pairs!

• Lisa October 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm

No. Joke. I have been looking for a reasonably priced pair of SH Jodhpur boots for ages now, and will finally give in and ask for them for Christmas full price. I’m a ubiquitous size 9. BAH. You are SOOOO LUCKY!!! (have you seen the green pair online?)

• Mariel October 15, 2011 at 2:15 am

SWEEDISH HASBEEN. I love them!

• caroline October 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

Amazing finds! 85% off Swedish Hasbeens is just such a good find! And I like oxfords too but I have a hard time committing to one. I think your oxford outfit looks good!

• molly October 16, 2011 at 10:34 pm

thumbs up! (toes up?) whatever. keep ’em. they work.

• 1 2